The first couple of weeks of January are very busy in music history. We start off with the following:
- Led Zeppelin‘s John Paul Jones celebrated his 77th birthday on January 3.
- R.E.M.‘s Michael Stipe celebrated his 63rd birthday on January 4
- Joy Division and New Order founder Bernard Sumner also celebrated his 67th birthday on January 4
- The 70th anniversary of AC/DC co-founder, rhythm guitarist, songwriter and backing vocalist Malcom Young’s birth was on January 6
- The 76th anniversary of David Bowie‘s brith was on January 8
January 8 is an especially auspicious day in music history. The Doors‘ Robby Krieger celebrated his 77th birthday. Krieger is arguably one of the greatest guitarists in rock history. And if you don’t believe me, listen to his solo on “Light My Fire,” and then get back to me.
Happy birthday, Robby! May there be many, many more!