As it turns out, the first couple of weeks of this month are rather auspicious in music history:
- John Paul Jones’ birthday was on the third,
- Michael Stipe‘s birthday was on the fourth
- David Bowie‘s and Elvis were born on the eighth
- Jimmy Page‘s and Robby Krieger‘s birthdays were on the ninth
- Donald Fagen’s birthday was on the tenth
- Zack de la Rocha and Raekwon’s birthdays were on the twelfth
- LL Cool J, Dave Grohl and Allen Toussaint all had birthdays on the fourteenth.
As you would have seen in a previous post, the Queen of Quiet Storm, Sade turns 63. Aaliyah, who we tragically lost back in 2001 would have turned 43 today. Her death hit close to home for an obvious reason: I’m two and a half months younger than her. And there’s always the question of where her career would be right now, if she had lived. (I think she would have been on a similar level as Mary J. Blige.) But today, we shall celebrate Aaliayh’s life and music. Happy birthday, Baby Girl! Happy birthday, wherever you are!